The Girls State Committee sets the following dress code. If you choose to dress inappropriately, you will be asked to change. By planning ahead and packing appropriate attire, you will save yourself the inconvenience of having to change and you will contribute to a pleasant atmosphere. The following dress code will be enforced for all individuals attending Girls State, including senior counselors, junior counselors, and staff.
All clothing shall be neat, clean and acceptable in repair and appearance and shall be worn within the bounds of decency and good taste appropriate for all Girls State events.
The dress code for Oklahoma Girls State is business casual. Below is further guidance for your dress during the week:
- Articles of clothing which display profanity, products or slogans which promote tobacco, alcohol, drugs, sex, or are in any other way distracting are prohibited.
- Excessively baggy or tight clothing is prohibited.
- Clothing which exposes bare midriffs, undergarments, or transparent (see-through) are prohibited. Spaghetti straps, shirts or dress which expose a bare back, including but not limited to halter tops, and tube tops as well as low-cut shirts or dress are prohibited.
- Jeans or any pants made of denim are prohibited except during expressly stated “recreation” or “casual” periods. Capri pants measuring 2 or more inches below the knee are permitted. Skirts measuring 4 or more inches above the knee are prohibited.
- Due to the temperature in various facilities on the campus beyond the control of Girls State, a sweater or tasteful cover-up is recommended.
- Girls State t-shirts are only to be worn during recreational times in the dorm and during the Thursday afternoon activities. This is also one of the two times when jeans, shorts, or appropriate length capris are allowed. Jeans must be in good condition (i.e., without holes, rips, tears or frayed) in order to be worn during these periods.
- Items such as shorts, tank tops and sports bras are only to be worn in your dorm room and not in the lobby, elevator, or outside the dorm.
- Shoes such as plastic shoes or flip flops are to be worn in the dorm area only. There is lots of walking during Girls State, so please choose your footwear accordingly. Tennis shoes for casual evenings are recommended.
For examples of Girls State appropriate attire, please view our What to Wear slideshow!
Please address all questions regarding dress code to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.